A basement is always a welcome addition to your house. A well-built basement, not just adds a livable area to your home, but it also adds utility to your house. You can use the additional space to create a home office or make it a game or media room for your children or even make it a laundry- the ideas for basement rooms Calgary are unlimited. However, this is possible only if, the basement is well built and well maintained. It is not unusual for a basement to get damp. In fact, a basement is one of the few areas of your home that are most prone to seepage and getting rotted. A damp basement is not only the home to molds, but it also can weaken the very foundation of your home. Therefore, it is very important to look for possible seepage signs on your basement walls and ceilings. A timely action can help you save lots of agonies as well as money in getting the repairs done.
Signs to look for
There are several signs that your basement is getting damp, and the water is seeping in it. You can look for damp spots, mold growth, rotting wood, bad odor or even foggy windows. These are just some of the first signs of the upcoming problems in your basement.
You may also find standing water in some hidden corners in the basement. This water might have crept in from the walls or the roof.
Why is humidity control important?
Humidity control is important is not just for ensuring good health of your home, but it is important for your physical well-being also. Some of the most common problems are the presence of noxious chemicals, pathogens, and allergens. These give rise to allergies and headache.
The dust mites are especially harmful to asthma patients by aggravating symptoms like shortness of breath, wheezing or even chronic cough.
What to do?
You need to take a planned approach to control humidity in your basement. Even though the course of action depends upon the extent of humidity present and the damage caused, some of the first steps that you should take are:
- Ventilate: Ventilation is certainly the first step that you should take to control humidity in any part of your home including basement. Make sure that you leave the fan on for a few hours every week. You may also try to leave the basement door open for a few hours every day to let the moist air pass through.
- Reorganizing furniture: Remove materials such as furniture, clothing, books or newspapers away from the basement walls as they can increase the humidity level in the basement.
- Humidifier: A humidifier is your best bet when nothing else can work. It will remove the excess moisture from the air. This moisture if left in the air, will eventually condense onto the basement wall and will further create dampness. Investing in a good quality humidifier is a good option as it can absorb gallons of moisture from the air in a single day.
- Accurate dryer ventilation: Dryer ventilation is important for reducing the moisture and bad odor produced by the dryer. This moisture gets absorbed by the walls and the ceilings and enters the structure of the house. It is best to ensure that the dryer is well ventilated.
- Installing a rain barrel: If extending the downspout is not possible, you can also check out the option to get a rain barrel installed. A rain barrel will just ensure that the water coming from the roof doesn’t reach the basement. All you need to do is to get a big trash can with a tight lid. Then cut a part of the downspout and adjust the trash can just underneath it. Cover the trash can securely else it might get infested by insects. You will end up collected a good amount of water which can be reused to water your plants.
- Repair wall cracks: Wall cracks are the first sign that moisture has been creeping on the walls. These must be detected in the first instance and repaired with waterproof material. If the cracks are major and require professional help, call in professional basement wall construction Calgary.
- Get the walls waterproofed: This is probably the easiest way to control moisture seeping into the walls. All you need to do is to dig trenches around the walls and then cover these walls with good quality waterproofing material. If the problem is advanced, you might have to dig in the trenches around the foundation too. It is best to call in Professional Basement Renovation Calgary.
- Modify downspouts: One of the most common sources of moisture in the basement is the roof of your home. The rain water or the snow runs through the eaves and downspouts to the basement. If the downspouts are not far away from the foundation, you must get them extended so that the water doesn’t reach the foundation and damage the basement.
- Reduce condensation from the walls: If you are sure that the basement walls are in perfect condition and don’t have cracks, you must check the pipes in the basement. These pipes create condensation that drips from the walls and results in the growth of molds and mild dew. To counter this, you can wrap insulation foam on the pipes. Insulating basement walls Calgary will absorb a large part of basement moisture.
Basement humidity control is not a one-off process. Even if you get success in controlling the moisture in your basement, there are high chances that it might return. You need to be very careful and keep on looking for the first signs of the appearance of moisture in the basement. Only professionals and experienced basement renovation experts can help you find a permanent solution to the problem of humidity in the basement. A basement that is humidity control is perfect and can be used for various purposes.